Are you planning to increase the organic traffic of your website? You must have heard that you need to do SEO, right? And you must be wondering: what is SEO, and why is it important for a website? Every business website owner will want an answer to that question. If you have a WordPress website, and you want to know how to do SEO, this article provides the right tips to help you succeed. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the question.
Do you want to sell more products with an online store? Hire a web design company, and let’s help you build your website. Our services also include SEO content writing and SEO services.
Use the form below to get in touch with us at [email protected]
What Is SEO, and Why Is It Important for a Website?
SEO is an acronym for search engine optimization. It is the practice or process of optimizing your website to rank higher on the search engine result pages (SERPs). This definition we have might sound a little bit technical for you, so let’s break it down a little.
The search engine result page is that page that displays a result when you search for something on Google. For example, if you search for “hot burger”, the Google search page will display results related to burgers. So, doing SEO for someone that has a burger website is making the website appear on the result page when someone searches for a burger.
Why Is SEO Important?
SEO for WordPress is important for these reasons:
- People will only click on your website when it appears on the search engine result page, which can only be achieved when you do SEO.
- Search engine optimization helps improve the visibility and credibility of your website and in turn the conversion rates.
- SEO is cheap compared to paid traffic. You will spend thousands of dollars per month on ads but with SEO, you don’t spend a dime.
- SEO increases trust for your business. Online users usually avoid clicking ads because they find it annoying. So, if your website appears on the result page, they trust it more.
So, How Does WordPress SEO Work?
Now that you know what SEO is about and why it is important, you would like to know how it works, don’t you? Doing SEO for WordPress involves targeted strategies, tactics, and tools that help maintain high search engine ranking.
Those targeted strategies include on-page SEO, technical SEO, off-page SEO, and content planning and keyword optimization. Luckily, WordPress SEO Plugins can help you with most of those tasks. Let’s go through them one after the other. But before that, let’s briefly consider WordPress SEO plugins.
Which SEO Plugin Is Best for WordPress?
There are lots of SEO plugins for WordPress that you can use to optimize your website. When selecting an SEO plugin, you only need one for your website, that is why you should choose the best. Here is a list of the best free WordPress SEO plugins.
- Yoast SEO,
- Rank Math,
- All in One SEO,
You can use any of those plugins to optimize your WordPress website. But what does an SEO plugin do? An SEO plugin makes it easy for you to add a meta description to your web pages, optimize your content for keywords, add Alt text to images and check the readability score of your content.
On-page SEO involves optimizing the content of your web pages. This task involves adding the right title, meta description, headings, and Alt text to your web pages. Luckily SEO plugins can help you with that. You can install Yoast SEO from the plugin library and on each page, follow the suggestion to optimize your site.
Off-page SEO involves building a reputation for your website. This task involves getting backlinks from reputable websites and building a strong social media presence. Although some SEOs will argue that backlinks are a ranking factor for a website, Google does not necessarily rank a website based on the number of backlinks. If you want your website to rank higher, you need good content.
Content Planning and Keywords Optimization
While most people will not consider content planning as part of SEO, it is crucial for any website that wants to succeed online. You should write content related to your business. And that content must be what your readers are searching for.
Your content should be able to solve your online visitors’ problems or answer their questions. To achieve that, you must use SEO software to get the right keywords. After getting the right keywords, you should optimize your content and ensure that the keywords are evenly distributed.
Technical SEO involves increasing your website’s speed, checking for broken links, and ensuring that your WordPress website visibility is set properly and properly setting redirects. Here are some of the best top to help you speed up your WordPress website:
- Choose a lightweight theme. The theme you use can affect your website’s loading speed. That is why it is recommended that you use a theme that loads quickly. One theme you can use is the Elementor theme.
- Use a content delivery network. A content delivery network makes it easy for you to serve content like images on your website easily, reducing load time.
- Choose a fast hosting. The web hosting you choose can affect your site load time. You should use a hosting service that has the lite speed technology and a reliable server.
- Update your site. You should update your WordPress website regularly to increase its performance. Your theme, plugins, and PHP must be up-to-date.
How do I SEO My WordPress Website? To do SEO for your WordPress website, you have to do on-page, off-page, and technical SEO. Also, you have to plan your content and optimize your keyword. While doing SEO is not an easy task, WordPress made it a little easy by providing various plugins you can install on your website.
Don’t forget to add a title, meta description, and alt text to your web pages when doing on-page SEO. Technical SEO involves increasing your website loading time and ensuring that the site is visible to search engines. And when you have done that, you should build the reputation of your WordPress website by getting backlinks and building a strong social media presence.