Finding a skilled WordPress ecommerce developer is crucial for building a successful online store. These developers possess the expertise to create feature-rich and user-friendly e-commerce websites using the WordPress platform. To help you in your search, we have compiled a list of the top 10 websites where you can hire talented WordPress ecommerce developers. Whether you’re a small business or a large enterprise, these platforms offer a pool of experienced professionals to meet your specific requirements.
What Is a WordPress Ecommerce Developer?
A WordPress ecommerce developer is a professional who specializes in designing, developing, and customizing online stores using the WordPress content management system (CMS). This expert deeply understands WordPress and its associated ecommerce plugins, such as WooCommerce, to create functional and visually appealing online stores.
Responsibilities of a WordPress Ecommerce Developer
- Developing and customizing WordPress themes for online stores: A WordPress ecommerce developer is responsible for creating and customizing themes that align with the client’s branding and design requirements. They use their expertise in HTML, CSS, and PHP to modify existing themes or create new ones from scratch.
- Integrating and configuring WooCommerce or other ecommerce plugins: WooCommerce is the most popular ecommerce plugin for WordPress, and a WordPress ecommerce developer should have a deep understanding of its features and functionalities. They integrate and configure WooCommerce or other ecommerce plugins to enable online shopping capabilities, manage inventory, set up pricing, and facilitate secure transactions.
- Creating product catalogs, shopping carts, and secure payment gateways: The developer is responsible for setting up product catalogs, organizing product categories, and ensuring a seamless user experience in navigating and searching for products. Also, the expert implements shopping cart functionality to allow users to add items, modify quantities, and proceed to checkout. Additionally, the developer integrates secure payment gateways, such as PayPal or Stripe, to enable safe and reliable online transactions.
- Optimizing website performance and implementing SEO best practices: Website performance is crucial for user experience and search engine rankings. A WordPress ecommerce developer optimizes website speed, improves loading times, and minimizes page bloat by optimizing code, compressing images, and implementing caching mechanisms. They also implement SEO best practices, such as optimizing metadata, using relevant keywords, and creating search engine-friendly URLs, to improve the website’s visibility and organic traffic.
- Troubleshooting and resolving technical issues related to e-commerce functionality: Inevitably, technical issues may arise in the e-commerce functionality of a WordPress website. A WordPress ecommerce developer is responsible for identifying and resolving these issues promptly. They debug code, investigate server-side or plugin conflicts, and ensure that all e-commerce features, including product display, cart functionality, and payment gateways, are working correctly.
- Implementing responsive design and ensuring cross-browser compatibility: With the increasing use of mobile devices for online shopping, it is essential to create a responsive design that provides an optimal user experience across different screen sizes and devices. A WordPress ecommerce developer ensures the website is fully responsive and functions seamlessly on smartphones, tablets, and desktops. They also test the website on various browsers to ensure cross-browser compatibility.
- Collaborating with designers and stakeholders to translate business requirements into functional websites: A WordPress ecommerce developer works closely with designers and stakeholders to understand the business goals, branding guidelines, and user experience requirements. They collaborate to translate these requirements into functional and visually appealing websites. Effective communication and a strong understanding of design and development principles are necessary for successful collaboration.
- Managing website updates, security patches, and backups: A WordPress ecommerce developer is responsible for updating the website by applying WordPress core updates, plugin updates, and security patches. They also perform regular website backups to ensure data integrity and quick recovery in case of any unforeseen issues.
- Monitoring website analytics and implementing strategies to improve conversion rates: A WordPress ecommerce developer tracks website analytics using tools like Google Analytics to gain insights into user behavior, conversion rates, and sales performance. Based on the data, they implement strategies to improve user engagement, optimize conversion rates, and enhance the overall performance of the online store.
Skills of a WordPress Ecommerce Developer
- Proficiency in WordPress CMS, including theme and plugin development
A WordPress ecommerce developer should have a deep understanding of the WordPress CMS (Content Management System). The dev should be skilled in developing custom themes and plugins, as well as modifying existing ones to meet specific project requirements. Knowledge of PHP, WordPress template hierarchy, and WordPress coding standards is essential.
- Expertise in e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, or Shopify
The developer should have expertise in popular e-commerce platforms like WooCommerce, Easy Digital Downloads, or Shopify. And should be able to set up and configure these platforms, customize their functionality, and integrate them seamlessly into the WordPress environment.
- Familiarity with web development frameworks and libraries, such as jQuery
WordPress ecommerce developers should be familiar with popular web development frameworks and libraries, such as jQuery. These frameworks and libraries provide pre-built functionalities and enhance the efficiency of web development tasks, such as DOM manipulation, AJAX requests, and animations.
- Experience with responsive design and mobile optimization
With the increasing use of mobile devices for online shopping, a WordPress ecommerce developer should possess knowledge and experience in responsive design. They should be able to create websites that adapt and provide an optimal user experience across different screen sizes and devices. Understanding CSS media queries, flexible layouts, and mobile optimization techniques is essential.
- Understanding of SEO principles and best practices
An effective e-commerce website should be search engine optimized to improve its visibility in search engine results. A WordPress ecommerce developer should have a solid understanding of SEO principles and best practices. This includes implementing proper URL structures, optimizing metadata, incorporating relevant keywords, and ensuring fast page load times, among other SEO techniques.
- Ability to troubleshoot and debug technical issues
Technical issues can arise during the development and maintenance of an e-commerce website. A WordPress ecommerce developer should possess strong problem-solving skills and be able to troubleshoot and debug issues effectively. The dev should have a good understanding of debugging tools, error handling, and testing methodologies to identify and resolve issues efficiently.
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
Collaboration is a key aspect of web development projects. A WordPress ecommerce developer should have excellent communication and collaboration skills to work effectively with designers, stakeholders, and other team members. Clear communication ensures that project requirements are understood, expectations are managed, and the development process runs smoothly.
- Time management and project management abilities
A WordPress ecommerce developer should be able to manage their time effectively and handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously. The expert should have strong project management skills, including setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and coordinating with clients or project managers to ensure successful project completion.
- Attention to detail and a passion for delivering high-quality work
In the world of e-commerce, attention to detail is crucial. A WordPress ecommerce developer should have an eye for detail, ensuring that every element of the website is well-crafted and functions flawlessly. And should be passionate about delivering high-quality work that meets client expectations and contributes to the success of the e-commerce project.
Ten Sites to Hire WordPress E-Commerce Developers
Websavis makes it easy to hire dedicated freelance WordPress developers for building e-commerce websites. We are a dedicated team that only connects you with experienced devs with the right skills to handle your project. What good is an e-commerce website if it doesn’t make money? We also help you find SEO specialists to optimize your online store, increase visibility and generate conversion. And if you need copywriters to create content for thousands of products, we are help you find the right talents. Contact Websavis today.
Upwork is a global freelancing platform where clients can hire professionals for various services including WordPress development. For e-commerce, you can find developers with expertise in WooCommerce, payment gateways, and other e-commerce functionalities. You can view the profiles of developers, see their ratings, and read reviews from previous clients. Upwork also allows you to post a job and receive proposals from interested developers.
Toptal is known for its highly selective process, choosing only the top 3% of freelance talent. This includes WordPress developers with e-commerce expertise. Clients can rely on the quality of professionals on Toptal. The platform also offers a trial period to ensure that the developer is the right fit for the project.
Freelancer.com is a large marketplace for freelancers. You can find WordPress ecommerce developers with varying levels of experience and expertise. Clients can post projects, receive bids from freelancers, and choose the one that best fits their requirements and budget. The platform also offers a contest feature where you can have multiple developers submit their solutions and choose the best one.
Guru is a freelance marketplace that offers a flexible and cost-effective platform for hiring WordPress ecommerce developers. It has a straightforward hiring process and allows you to negotiate terms and payment with the freelancer. Guru also has a SafePay feature which ensures secure transactions.
Codeable is specifically focused on WordPress experts. This includes developers who specialize in building e-commerce websites using WordPress. Codeable ensures that all its developers are highly vetted and guarantees high-quality work. It’s ideal for clients who are looking for specialized WordPress services.
PeoplePerHour is a freelancing platform where you can hire professionals on an hourly basis. This is particularly useful for short-term projects. WordPress ecommerce developers on PeoplePerHour offer services like setting up online stores, integrating payment gateways, and customizing themes and plugins.
While 99designs is primarily known for design services, it also offers development services including WordPress. Clients can find developers who not only build functional e-commerce sites but also ensure that they are aesthetically pleasing. The platform allows you to either hire a developer directly or create a contest where multiple developers can participate.
Fiverr is known for offering services at affordable prices. You can find a wide range of WordPress ecommerce developers offering different packages. Each package varies in terms of what’s included and the level of service provided. Fiverr is ideal for small businesses or individuals on a tight budget.
LinkedIn ProFinder is a professional services marketplace that leverages LinkedIn’s extensive network. Clients can find WordPress ecommerce developers by submitting a request. ProFinder then sends this request to professionals who match the criteria, and they can send their proposals directly to the client. This platform is ideal for finding highly qualified professionals through a trusted network.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of hiring a WordPress ecommerce developer can vary depending on their experience, location, and project requirements. Freelancers usually charge hourly rates, while agencies may offer fixed pricing or project-based quotes.
When hiring a WordPress ecommerce developer, consider their experience, portfolio, client reviews, technical skills, and ability to understand your business requirements. Communication skills and professionalism are also essential.
The time required to hire a WordPress ecommerce developer depends on the platform or process you choose. It can range from a few days to a couple of weeks, considering the evaluation, negotiation, and onboarding stages.
Absolutely! Many WordPress ecommerce developers work remotely, allowing you to hire talent from anywhere. Remote collaboration tools and communication platforms make it easy to manage projects effectively.